We welcome your application to the Master of Nursing (MN) program at the University of Washington Tacoma Nursing Program! While applicants for the MN program are expected to have a bachelor’s degree in nursing, the Nursing Program recognizes that RNs may have gained experience and knowledge in management and leadership, and/or community health nursing through academic, professional and personal experiences outside of a bachelor’s program in nursing.
RNs with baccalaureate degrees in fields other than nursing may demonstrate competency equivalent to the bachelor’s degree in nursing by writing two petitions to the MN Admissions Committee. The petitions must demonstrate knowledge and experience in the areas of:
- Leadership and management
- Community health nursing acquired through your academic, personal, and professional experiences
The MN Admissions Committee will review your petitions and recommend approval and admission to the MN Program or recommend taking specific UW Tacoma BSN coursework.
For the leadership /management petition:
- Compare leading versus managing; what are similarities and differences? From your experience, give an example of each.
- Provide an example of how you might or have used your knowledge of leadership styles and theories in your professional practice or in your professional volunteer role.
- What are some factors that influence organizational culture? Consider those factors within and outside the organization.
- What can a leader to do increase the likelihood that organizational change will be successful ?
- What steps can you take to improve team collaboration?
- What is the role of conflict resolution in team collaboration? How does conflict resolution influence collaboration?
- Give an example of the nurse’s role as an advocate in the process of creating or recommending or supporting health policy.
For the communities/populations petition:
- Tell us about socio cultural, political, and other important factors that influence the health of communities.
- For a community or population, describe how you have assessed, planned for, and/or intervened to meet its needs.
- Give an example of how you have used a principle of community or public health nursing.
- In terms of promoting health in the community, describe the kind of working relationship you would establish and why.
- Give us an example of how you have worked effectively with a team of peers.
Your petition is strengthened not only by your description of you professional experience, expertise and education, but also by examples. The following list of such examples should be of use to you as you prepare your petition.
- Course descriptions of academic, continuing education, or inservice education courses
- Clinical examples of research utilization or providing health education
- Descriptions of community projects
- An annotated (detailed, descriptive) resume that highlights your professional and community health experiences, whether at work or in your community, in your role as an employee or as a volunteer, with Girl Scouts, Red Cross high school volunteers, volunteer parent/RN providing classes in public or private schools or other educational settings
- In-service course descriptions and/or evaluation
- Professional certification, when the exam or requirements for such certification includes knowledge of relevant content or skills
- Committee membership
- Volunteer experience
- Membership and activities in professional organizations
If you have questions, please contact the Graduate Program Adviser at 253-692-4470.